This prototype was made from me and a few friends messing around with the idea of making an RPG. I did all the programming and some of the art while my friends did some art and ideas as well.
This project with programmed in C++ with OpenGL, SDL and FreeType. Scripting was done in Lua.
Whenever I am working on a prototype like this I like to try some new ways of doing stuff and seeing how it goes. Some things I learned while working on this project:
Here is the script for the player, as an example of how I used Lua:
LEVEL_DESTINATION_ID = 0; PLAYER_DESTINATION_X = 3; PLAYER_DESTINATION_Y = 3; function init(id) entity_id = id; end function update() end function on_trigger() freeze(); set_anim(entity_id, "open"); wait_for_loop(entity_id, 1); change_level(LEVEL_DESTINATION_ID); player_goto_tile(PLAYER_DESTINATION_X, PLAYER_DESTINATION_Y); unfreeze(); set_anim(entity_id, "closed"); end
init is called when the entity is created,
update is called on each frame and
on_trigger is called
if the entity has a
TriggerComponent and the player interacts with it, however that may be.